The Angler’s Club Fly Fishing Quiz
Changing tacks for this edition of our ongoing quiz series, we want to know whether you’re up on your fly fishing knowledge. As usual, you can find the answers at the bottom of the article. No cheating!
Which of the following is the tippet on a fly rod setup?
- The handle of the reel
- The monofilament line that connects the leader to your fly
- The eyelet on the tip of your rod
- The handle of the rod
What is the best method of casting dry flies in a stream or river?
- Look for pools of water
- Cast into the wind
What is the best knot to use to attach the fly line to the leader?
- Double hitch
- FG knot
- Nail Knot
- Palomar knot
True or False: technique is more important to fly fishing than strength?
True or False : the larger the fly used, the larger the fish you will catch?
What does the mechanical drag system on a fly reel do?
- Helps the angler by casting automatically for you.
- Provides the weight the line needs to be cast
- Allows the angler to fight larger fish
- Stops you from being “dragged” into the water
Which of these setups is most important when fly fishing?
- Floating line, small flies and big fly rod.
- A reel that you can change easily.
- Heavy duty rod so there is no fish too big to be caught.
- What works for where you are, and what you are trying to catch.
- B – Casting upstream allows the fly to drift back towards you and mimics a dead bug.
- C – Nail Knot
- True – Technique allows for better casts than strength
- False – Placement of flies and what attracts the fish are bothe more important than size
- C – Mechanical drag system lets you fight larger fish