By Sean O’brien
Each Sunday, we bring you a series of questions to test your knowledge of the fish and some of the strategies used to snatch them. This week’s test is on the ins and outs of kayaks. Be sure to let us know in the comments or on social media how you scored, and what you’d like us to cover in the future).
1) As a general rule, the longer the kayak in overall size, the _______ it is?
2) What is the purpose of a spray skirt on a kayak?
- To make the boat feel so pretty.
- To allow the spray off water access to the hull.
- To keep water from entering through the cockpit.
- To allow for airflow through the kayak, cooling your legs.
3) Most kayaks have two of these located inside the boat; they are adjustable for comfort:
- Live wells
- Foot braces
- Emergency exit hatches
4) _______is the surface on the bottom of the kayak, and keeps you going forward instead of side to side and provides stability.
5) This is the area where the angler / paddler sits and controls the kayak:
6) This term is used to describe the access points to the storage compartments on the kayak – generally, touring or fishing kayaks will have one each in the front and the back.
7) The most important feature of a kayak, and it determines your ability to keep the boat upright:
- Paddle Length